As a pet owner, it’s important to be mindful of the plants you bring into your home. While many household plants provide a beautiful and refreshing touch to any space, some species can be harmful, or even fatal to pets. The picture above is our rambunctious little Welsh Corgi, KC. She’s a ball of energy and loves to get into things she shouldn’t, and certainly doesn’t understand what’s safe and what’s not. Obviously a staged picture for this article, a situation we would never let go un-supervised. In this article, we’ll discuss the most dangerous houseplants for pets and what you can do to keep your furry friends safe.
The Peace Lily is a popular houseplant due to its low maintenance and beautiful white blooms. However, it can cause oral irritation, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing in pets if ingested.
Preventing Pet Poisoning from House Plants
To keep your pets safe, it’s important to keep toxic plants out of their reach. If you have a pet that likes to chew on plants, consider hanging them from the ceiling or placing them on high shelves. Alternatively, you can create a designated pet-free zone in your home where you can keep your “Pet toxic” plants.
In case of accidental ingestion, it’s important to know the symptoms of poisoning and to seek veterinary attention immediately. Keep your vet’s phone number handy and have an emergency plan in place.
You can also call the PET POISIN HELPLINE at (855)-764-7661
In conclusion, while houseplants can add beauty and refreshment to your home, some species can be harmful or even fatal to your pets. By being mindful of the plants you bring into your home and taking the necessary precautions, you can keep your furry friends safe and healthy while also enjoying the benefits of being a responsible plant parent.